Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default Cordless phones

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 12:24:22 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

I don't know what you mean by "doing on a structured basis....".
Are you talking about precautions against the so called 'memory effect'?
Doesn't apply to Lithium Ion batteries. Maybe applied to early NiCads
although the jury is still out and it may simply be a myth.

That is what I meant. So, don't need to run the batteries on my
laptop down every month to avoid having them memory and only hold
partial charges?

A different effect is that Lithium Ion batteries have a limited number of
charge/discharge cycles. If you run on batteries and then reconect the
charger 20
times a week instead of 4 times a week, you'll get 1/5th the battery life.
Leave it on the charger, or let it run most of the way down.

So, I should leave it on the charger except for maybe 10 minutes or
so when I know I am going to have to use the batteries to test to make
sure they are working properly.

Pretty much. Leave it on the charger except when you want portability.
I prefer running on batteries as the power management usually has the laptop
run cooler even though I have cpu throttling set for both AC and batteries.