Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Cordless phones

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:14:30 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

Piggybacking
On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 23:25:20 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

Can someone recommend a cordless phone that has long lasting batteries that
will not "degrade" a lot over time?

I have two cordless phones, and when they were new, the batteries last 3 to
4 days, then after a few months or so of usages and charging/recharging,
they no longer hold charge as long, and it gets worse and worse until the
charge will hold for only about 15 minutes.

I understand those batteries have memory and you have to let it die before

memory effect is mostly a myth. Best strategy is to ignore the concept.
Letting the batterys run all the way down is far far more harmfull.

How do you know this when the phone manufacturers say otherwise?

This the same with laptop batteries? I use my laptop more as a

No. They use Li-ion batteries, the ones famous for bursting into
flames (on rare occasions), and they don't have that trait. Why they
don't make cordless phones that use the same kind of batteries, I
don't know.

I see nickle-hydride batteries, a third type that someone recommended,
for sale for some cordless phones, but I don't know much about their
traits.

desktop, so it is almost always plugged in. A couple times a month, I
may run it on batteries for awhile mostly to make sure the batteries are
working should I need them. But I don't really need to run them down to
nothing? Is there maybe some minimum I should run them down or is just a
few minutes off house power to confirm they are working is okay