Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Default scrub planes - can you convert a jack plane?

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

McQualude wrote in message ...
I would like to have a scrub plane for rough work, but you would think they
are made of gold. Question: can I take a Stanly jack plane and round the
blade and get the same performance?

A 5 1/4 is a bit narrower and shorter than a 5 and so might be
a better choice.

The jack won't cut as deep as a real scrub but it will take off
a wider shaving so maybe you'd get to the same thickness jsut as fast.

Also, there's no reason you can't put a narrower cutter in a plane,
but I'd hesitate to use a #2 sized iron that way just because they're
a bit scarce.

Grind to a deep crown, about 1/8 to 1/4". Set the blade depth to 1/16",
and it'll take narrow shavings. Advantage here is when the working edge
segment dulls, nudging the tilt lever exposes sharp iron.