Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default OT; Wireless Tablet

Bruce wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

Bruce wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

Bruce wrote:
Colin Wilson o.uk
wrote:

SWIMBO bought me a Trust TB2100 wireless tablet for my biffday
If you feel the urge, and you happen to find out where she got it has
a decent returns policy, a Wacom is a much better product.
I do a lot of photo editing, often several hours a day. Before
splashing out on a Wacom, I bought a cheap graphics tablet to try. I'm
glad I did, because (like the OP) I just couldn't see the point of it.
I would have been very cross if I had paid for a Wacom.

In case the cheapness was the problem, I did try a Wacom for a day,
and while it was better made, I didn't find it any more useful for
photo editing than a mouse and keyboard. My tablet went back into its
box where it remains, three years later (it is not valuable enough to
bother with eBay!).

I can see the value of a tablet in a drawing office (engineers and
architects etc..) or for a graphic designer who can express
him/herself better with a pen than with a mouse. But for photo
editing, tablets don't seem to offer much of an advantage, if any.

To the OP, it is probably worth persevering with it to see if it works
for you.

I use PhotoImpact for editing, and have barely scratched the surface of
its capabilities.
As John says, freehand selection can be very tedious with a mouse.

I don't find it tedious at all. But that's probably because I have
been doing it for nearly 20 years - since 1989.

Graphics tablets were available then, but they were way outside my
price range. I had just spent £2795 on an Apple Macintosh SE with a
tiny 9" black and white screen, and £4295 on an Apple Laserwriter NT,
a Postscript laser printer with a mere 300 dpi, so funds were scarce.
I guess that if I had used a graphics tablet from the start, I would
have been singing its praises now. As it is, with all that practice,
the mouse works very well for me, so I see no need to change. ;-)

It's ok at full zoom where it's all straight lines anyway, but I find
the initial outline difficult on a mouse. Maybe I should clean it more
often :-)

Have you tried a trackball? They are much more precise.

I've got used to a 3 button type where the centre is a double click. The
result is I now seem to have lost the ability to double click fast
enough, which is kind of embarrassing when you're on friends' computers.
Perhaps the trackball button does this? That extra click has always
seemed an unnecessary waste of time to me.

I use a Marble Mouse from Logitech. It is a trackball, but they
probably feel they have to call it a mouse.

It hardly ever needs cleaning. ;-)

Wow! I have to scrape the bearings on mine with a toothpick. Static
charge I guess. I blame the cat

http://tinyurl.com/2y2nyd