Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_8_] SteveB[_8_] is offline

Default Painting Doors

Bernie Hunt wrote:

OK, I now have 14 doors made of raw pine that need painting. Any
suggestions on how to paint them? I have the ability to spray or brush.
Should I paint them in place or remove them. I'm thinking remove them
and paint them upright, but I await any suggestions.

You'll get the best finish if you spray them. It's most convenient to
paint them in place, but you'll get overspray everywhere. Take them down
and spray them in the garage.

* Label the doors on the top edge so you know where they go back.
* Take off all the hardware so you have no edges to worry about.
* Put some screweyes in the top and hang the doors so you can spray both
sides at the same time.
* Another trick is to put one screw in the top edge and two in the
bottom. Rest the screws on your sawhorses. You can then turn the door over
to paint the other side without touching it.
* If you paint the mortices where the hinges go, the doors will fit a
little tighter when you rehang them. This might be a good thing or a bad
thing.
* I usually line up all the doors around the garage and paint one side. I
paint the other side the next day. Use lots of drop cloths.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement