Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Washing Machine Tray

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 14:44:55 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

"kupplerc" wrote in message
. com...
My wife and I did some remodeling and created a new laundry room on the
first floor. We decieded to have a washing machine tray (bought at
Lowe's) put in.

The washer sits in the tray just fine; however, whenever we run the
washer, we noticed water sitting in the tray afterwards. We had the
washer checked out, and the repair man stated that water was coming up
from the drain. Basically, when the washer empties the water, some of the
water backs up into the tray from the drain. The plumber who put it in
states that there is nothing he can do about it.

Supposedly he put in an offset 'y' connector, and the water should not be

I didnt think that in itself was sufficient. I presume the pan has
a trap between it and the main sewer, but of course the trap is there
to prevent sewer gas from coming into your house.

You're in a simlar position to having a sink and a shower next to each
other. AIUI, sometimes a draining sink will back up into a shower,
but it doesn't happen if the drain pipe below the junction is clear
and the air vent up through the roof is clear.

Curtis K.

When I did mine, I put a drain in the pan, which I made. Figured if I ever
got it full of water it would be an easy way to get rid of water.

We send rockets out of this solar system. I think there is something a

I didn't notice this, but I guess Oren means that we only send
satellites much beyond the earth.

competent person "can do about it." You may want to make some phone calls.
First to give the plumber the chance to fix it, next to the inspector or
contractor's board of your state if he doesn't. If the man can't properly
plumb up a drain for a washing machine, something's wrong.

But you need to hire the National Air and Drain Administration.

Just my opinion.

Steve