Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default "chain" surge suppressers?

wrote:
On Jul 7, 9:43�am, ransley wrote:
On Jul 7, 8:27�am, Caesar Romano wrote:

Does anyone know if surge suppresser protection can be increased by
"chaining" two or more together?
For example, I have two power strips that have surge suppresser
outlets. If I plug one of the strips into the protected outlet of the
other suppresser will the down-stream strip offer more protection than
the up-stream one?

..
I would get a single suppressor with high ratings. They are readily
available at rather low cost.

The division of the protection between the suppressors depends on the
clamp voltage of the MOVs in the suppressors.

If chained, I would plug-in only to the most downstream suppressor.

Any manufacturer with a protected equipment warranty is likely to say
the warranty is void.

UL does not intend for any plug strips to be chained.

Everything that is interconnected needs to be plugged into the same
suppressor. External wires, like phone and cable, also need to go
through the suppressor.
..
Buy a UPS, far better design and protection.

..
UPSs, of the kind commonly used, do not intrinsically provide any surge
protection. The surge protection included in a plug-in suppressor is
commonly added.

Compare surge ratings.

And in the US get a UPS that includes UL1449 listing (surge
suppressors). Many (most?) UPSs don't.

--
bud--