Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default did I damage AVR (honda generator) ?

On Jul 7, 8:22*am, "Mark" wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
Just so you realize that you have two seperate "legs" and each leg can
produce 3300 watts but neither can produce (much) more than that. *It is
better to balance the loads on both legs.

so connect two separate items to two separate 20amp outlets and try running 3000w on
both?

does the fact that I managed to run off one extension cord 2950w dispel my concern
that the voltage regulator may have damage or does it mean nothing since I produced it
from just one outlet connection?

the max output is rated at 8000w and running is rated at 6600w

Since you have a Kill A Watt I'd also check the output voltage and frequency
under a moderate load. *I tend to adjust my 5000 watt generator to about 120
volts at about 1/2 load which gives me about 63 Hz. *I find many appliances

not sure how this is done, please do post some details, if possible specific to the
honda gx390

going too far over. *If your voltage is a bit low your AC might not like it.

if you read the original details, you will find the ac is an inverter system,
converting AC to DC to AC so it does not care what's being input as it conditions the
line internally to suit it's own needs - thus, it also has almost no jump in locked
rotor amps but starts off with just 1.5amps and very slowly ramps it up from there
over several minutes. it also uses max watts of about 700 but I have never seen it go
above 350w

You now measure 120v that is no load? if so its at 3600 rpm. at the
3000w produced check voltage, even with avr its still likely 115v,
your AC may be fine at 115 but it does have an input range, I set my
unit above 120 to allow for load drawdown. How good yours controls
voltage only you cant test it from no load to full load. Whether 3000w
you use is off one leg or split from 220 call Northern. I would run it
and test it, having a low oil level sensor shut you down is common.