Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Schwartz Tim Schwartz is offline

Default Modern Electronic Education (4th grade)

Mike S wrote:
I recently had the opportunity to install computer systems in a private
school, and the only available time was during classes. As I went about my
business during a 4th grade science class the teacher was asking the
students what they had planned for their science fair projects. One young
girl told the teacher "My dad and I built a Heathkit".
The teacher's response: "What's a Heathkit"
Girl: "We built a radio from scratch. We soldered all the parts and
adjusted everything to make it work"
Teacher: "Your science projects need to TEACH you something, not just
follow instructions from a kit..."
At this point I had stopped what I was doing and I listened to the teacher
explain how to select a project from their textbooks.

It appears that the teacher taught this girl and the class some valuable
lessons:
The older generation can't teach us anything about modern electronics, and
there's no need to know these things anyway because...
Theory is useless. Radios are mass produced in China and there are no
adjustments to be made.
Working with your hands means building a cardboard diorama instead of a
working model of something am interested in all .

I am interested in everyone's thoughts about this.
Mike

Mike,

First, I'm surprised that he still had an unassembled Heathkit, as
they've been out of production for quite a while.

Next, I'm sorry that the teacher did not have more flexibility in
realizing that in putting together a kit, the manual, if well written,
will often have some theory of operation in it, and that the Dad
involved might have been a ham (or professional) who was able to
explain a lot of what they were doing as they spent real quality time
building the kit.

Often doing something is the way to learn. You can read cook books all
day long, and not know how to use a can opener. I would not be
surprised to find out that the teacher had no specialized training in
science, and that it was just another subject mandated in the schools
lesson plans. Maybe the teacher uses a "4th grade science lesson plan"
manual which is less creative than the kid's father. I'm disappointed
by her attitude of putting down what the student had done without even
looking into it.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics