Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Denis M Denis M is offline

Default Walking Stick/ Cane Question

"Buddy Matlosz" wrote in message
Consider using a mortise and tenon with glue to join the two pieces,
there's really no reason to have to take it apart. You can find rubber
tips for canes and crutches at a pharmacy or surgical supply house.

B.

"JD " james.smithremove wrote in message
Oh, I also would need some sort of rubber foot to go on the end of the
stick. I've considered using some type of chair or stool foot, but I'm
not sure that is exactly what I would need. Since those are made of
plastic and chairs are expected to slide across the floor, it doesn't
seem to be the best thing to put on the end of a cane.

Thanks,
JD

--
He that will make a good use of any part
of his life must allow a large portion of it

"JD
" james.smithremove wrote in message
Hey folks.

I've a cousin who has to use a cane to get around and he is the kind of
person you just like to help. I have been considering making a cane for
him, but I am limited by my lathe. If I make him a cane, it will need to
be a 2 piece cane. I've considered using something like is used to put a
2 piece que stick together. The problem I've run into is I can't find a
source for this.

For anyone out there who has made a cane or walking stick, how did you
manage it and do you have a supplier for some means of screwing the 2
pieces together? I've some nice pieces of walnut and maple selected for
making his new cane and I'm anxious to get it done. Any help would be
appreciated.

JD (Kentucky)

--
He that will make a good use of any part
of his life must allow a large portion of it
to recreation.
- John Locke

Check LeeValley at:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/Search.aspx?c=2&action=n