Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
boden boden is offline

Default Where to get oxalic acid in TO; LV cabinet scraper tools needed?

Try here for an inexpensive burnisher:
http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?fam...oductID=142576

I use this for the whole job:
http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?fam...oductID=141025

As for oxalic acid, I just had my local hardware store order a case of
24 1 lb containers. Any good hardware or paint store should be able to
do the same thing. I'd urge not using a chlorine bleach. The results
with oxalic acid will be far better. Water is all that is needed after
bleaching with oxalic acid. No neutralization with a base is needed.

bent wrote:
I need to brighten/ bleach my pine picnic table 2"x12"x8' boards that
have the blackened water marks, etc. before I finish with Spar. Its
great to see after its done so. I have liquid pool chlorine, which does
a great job of whitening, but may have its own drawbacks (maybe not),
but someone mentioned oxalic acid instead. The problem with pool
chlorine is that the poly doesn't stick after, but I've only ever done
it once or so to know whatever I did or didn't do didn't adequately
rid/neutralize it. Again someone mentioned sanding. I could work
chlorine in earlier to the overall re&re process this time. I probably
did nothing or a light water rinse before, &/or maybe a light sand.
Again any further comments about neutralizing for either the chlorine or
oxalic acid, or any other product. Oh ya, and where do I get it in
Toronto? Not LV, CT, HH, or HD!

Has another used or will recommend buying the accessories that you can
buy from Lee Valley for sharpening a cabinet scraper? I think I can
sharpen and flatten the scraper alright without extra tools. Just need
a good flat file after it is normal and true then take a few final level
swipes. But I have yet to get a piece of (round) metal stock of
hardness greater than the scraper for putting the crucial finish on it,
and you just can't find something anywhere around the whole house can
you. There are two (2) items I think might do the job, a piston wrist
pin or a valve lifer, form an automobile, but don't know if either is a
good fit. To get the hook I get the feeling (experimenting with a
kitchen knife sharpening tool) that a load of exertion is required, and
then there is the skill level too. I'm no craftsman but for getting rid
of bondo on a door jamb there is no other tool, and the list goes on.
But I wish I could get mine working right; barely useable as a paper
weight when I am done with it currently. So here are the LV products.
Are they good investments? About $37 for a sharpener! Or should I get
to the auto rebuilders with a fiver?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,310,41070
Veritas® Variable Burnisher
05K37.01 Not the round one (to make a hook cuz I've made better with a
blow torch and stair railing)

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43072,43089
Veritas® Jointer/Edger
05M07.01 I am pretty sure I don't need this (for flattening/truing)

BTW Is the simple act of posting here in NGs lately causing my junk
mail quantity to increase? You can e-mail me an answer if you wish!?

News==----
Newsgroups