Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Rope caulk?

Nancy Young wrote:

Big_Jake wrote:

On Jul 6, 6:54 pm, "Nancy Young" wrote:

Usually, the concrete guys use products like this:

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=10136

which is a one-part urethane caulk. It is really good stuff, and will
hold its shape when pulled out, and end up looking like a rope. You
also might need to use a caulk backer rod -

http://www.bestmaterials.com/SearchR...ategoryID=1083

This should be reasonably easy to find but the caulk is a little more
difficult to get. I buy mine from a local contractor's supply store
that specializes in tools and supplies for masonry contractors.

Oh. The fact that I don't know what backer rod is, but I saw what
looked like that at the store makes me think I don't know what the
heck I'm doing. I'd better read more about it. Thank you for
the heads up.

nancy

Backer rod is stiff foam molded into a cylindtrical shape, or rope,
available in different sizes. It is used for filling larger gaps
prior to caulking. The backer rod fills the gap, and caulk covers the
backer rod and seals up the gap. The backer rod
is to insulate and fill so you don't have to fill up voids with caulk.
Caulk is great for finishing off all kinds of cracks
and openings, but might never completely cure if packed in volume to a
large opening.