Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rope caulk?

On 7/6/2008 5:10 PM Nancy Young spake thus:

Big_Jake wrote:

On Jul 6, 6:54 pm, "Nancy Young" wrote:

Usually, the concrete guys use products like this:

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=10136

which is a one-part urethane caulk. It is really good stuff, and will
hold its shape when pulled out, and end up looking like a rope. You
also might need to use a caulk backer rod -

http://www.bestmaterials.com/SearchR...ategoryID=1083

This should be reasonably easy to find but the caulk is a little more
difficult to get. I buy mine from a local contractor's supply store
that specializes in tools and supplies for masonry contractors.

Oh. The fact that I don't know what backer rod is, but I saw what
looked like that at the store makes me think I don't know what
the heck I'm doing. I'd better read more about it. Thank you for
the heads up.

The backer rod is just something else besides caulk to stuff into the
crack, used when the crack is large. You *could* fill the crack with
caulk, but that would take a lot more of it: the backer rod just lets
you use less caulk, while still filling the cavity. Not exactly rocket
science.

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken