Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rope caulk?

On 7/6/2008 4:52 PM Nancy Young spake thus:

What's confusing me is that this stuff is up to an inch wide and
doesn't look like it came out of a caulking gun. It looks like one
long piece of gray rope. I guess that's why I thought rope caulk.

I think what you have is what's called "backer rod", which isn't caulk
at all, but semi-rigid foam (usually gray) used to fill large gaps. You
stuff it in, then caulk around it. Available at almost any hardware or
home-improvement store.

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken