Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
bent bent is offline

Default Where to get oxalic acid in TO; LV cabinet scraper tools needed?

I need to brighten/ bleach my pine picnic table 2"x12"x8' boards that have
the blackened water marks, etc. before I finish with Spar. Its great to see
after its done so. I have liquid pool chlorine, which does a great job of
whitening, but may have its own drawbacks (maybe not), but someone mentioned
oxalic acid instead. The problem with pool chlorine is that the poly
doesn't stick after, but I've only ever done it once or so to know whatever
I did or didn't do didn't adequately rid/neutralize it. Again someone
mentioned sanding. I could work chlorine in earlier to the overall re&re
process this time. I probably did nothing or a light water rinse before,
&/or maybe a light sand. Again any further comments about neutralizing for
either the chlorine or oxalic acid, or any other product. Oh ya, and where
do I get it in Toronto? Not LV, CT, HH, or HD!

Has another used or will recommend buying the accessories that you can buy
from Lee Valley for sharpening a cabinet scraper? I think I can sharpen and
flatten the scraper alright without extra tools. Just need a good flat file
after it is normal and true then take a few final level swipes. But I have
yet to get a piece of (round) metal stock of hardness greater than the
scraper for putting the crucial finish on it, and you just can't find
something anywhere around the whole house can you. There are two (2) items
I think might do the job, a piston wrist pin or a valve lifer, form an
automobile, but don't know if either is a good fit. To get the hook I get
the feeling (experimenting with a kitchen knife sharpening tool) that a load
of exertion is required, and then there is the skill level too. I'm no
craftsman but for getting rid of bondo on a door jamb there is no other
tool, and the list goes on. But I wish I could get mine working right;
barely useable as a paper weight when I am done with it currently. So here
are the LV products. Are they good investments? About $37 for a sharpener!
Or should I get to the auto rebuilders with a fiver?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,310,41070
Veritas® Variable Burnisher
05K37.01 Not the round one (to make a hook cuz I've made better with a
blow torch and stair railing)

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43072,43089
Veritas® Jointer/Edger
05M07.01 I am pretty sure I don't need this (for flattening/truing)

BTW Is the simple act of posting here in NGs lately causing my junk mail
quantity to increase? You can e-mail me an answer if you wish!?