Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default OT-143 days

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 09:39:05 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 10:19:48 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

HDI is another arbitrary UN project that consists of weightings pulled out
of a hat. 'You want to boost the US HDI? Try universal healthcare.
Whoops...that isn't part of the libertarian program, is it?

Damned straight, it ain't.

I notice that you snipped the part where I pointed out that EVERY country
that ranks higher than us DOES have universal healthcare. So, you may not
think much of the value of the HDI (I don't). But don't raise the point
(Stuart) and then turn around and say that universal healthcare isn't a
contibutor to the HDIs of those countries with higher rankings.

I snipped a lot more than just that, as I did with this reply. g No,
I don't think of the HDI as a handbook, just another guide to stats
from what I've seen so far.

You can give it another boost by shooting all the cows.

Hmm, is it milk or beef which is killing everyone, Ed? Or just the
hormone and antibiotic overdoses?

Probably all of the above contribute to a reduced lifespan. This isn't an
arguable point. The epidemiological studies, hundreds of which I've read and
reported on, are unequivocal.

Pardon me. I forgot the implications of cow farts and the ozone. I'm
curious as to what the figures are, though. Does it contrast organic
vs. commercial cattle products and lifespan? THAT could be an eye
opener.

But, if you *really
* want to get us on top, the long-term solution is obvious: Bulldoze the
inner cities flat.

And house the unwashed masses where?

That's your problem. d8-) My job is to raise our HDI. Stuart seems to think
it's important.

So we should fake more stats, right?

--snip of more HDI stuff because I'm not up on it--

So what does that have to do with libertarians or Libertarians? Don't they
have sex?

Evidently, most are hetero and have sex only with consenting partners
only. Pretty wild, huh?

What's your evidence for this? I've seen nothing to support your point.

The proof is self-evident. There are no criminal reports or scandals.

This is a PARTICIPATORY democracy, not a stage show for critics. And it
isn't a parliamentary system. It's a two-party system with a strong
president. That keeps it a two-party system.

Theoretically, anyway.

Theoretically? Have you noticed how the system actually *works*, in
practice? Screw the theory. It's the practice.

Shrub is a strong President?

Fraud, waste, and abuse are endemic to large institutions, especially
governments. Oversight helps. Turning your back on it, as Reagan and Bush
have done, and as libertarians would do to an even greater degree, just
makes it worse.

That's your theory, right, seeing as no libertarians have been in
enough power to test it?

There is plenty of evidence right now. Libertarians want to eliminate
regulations on business, except for outright fraud. See how many mortgage
lenders can be proven to have violated the law in the current subprime
crises. They weren't violating the law. They were exploiting a libertarian
program of deregulation that gave them holes big enough to drive a truck
through. And they did.

Which particular powerful Libertarian pushed through that loophole in
the money game, Ed?

Well, how many libertarians have been caught in frauds, sex scandals,
or kickbacks?

What libertarians have been in a position to do so? d8-) As I said, it's all
blind faith. You seem to think that libertarians are a different species.

I don't see any libertarian business owners, city councilors, mayors,
or governors being indicted, Ed.

Or
do excellent track records not figure into your theories against
libertarians? You're awfully hot over this, Ed. Have you looked at
what's affecting your perspective yet? Please do.

What in the hell is that statement supposed to mean? English, please.

You seem to have a real "thing" against libertarians and you can't
provide any hard evidence against them when I ask for your
clarifications about your future predictions. So, what is it that is
affecting your perspective? Did a Libertarian scare your mother when
she was pregnant with you, or something?

I have no idea what you are talking about here. I do not own or think
that
an SUV is the car to own but based on statistics it seems that the
majority of the people who are supporting the political parties running
the US do. Another example of thinking things thru.

Talk to Larry. He has a 6,000-pound truck to haul 500 pounds of tools. g

...daily, and frequently hauling sheets of plywood, 8-20' lengths of
tuba fore/six/eight/ten/twelve and 4xX posts, sacks of concrete, rolls
of fencing, ladders, digging bars, table saws, miter saws, trailers,
cement mixers, etc. Check your biases, bubba.

P.S: My Tundra weighs only 4,850 lbs....

Dry weight. You're 98% liquid, and so is your fuel and coolant. d8-)

Yeah, I foud that out this morning when I took down my 9x9' boxwood
tree/shrub. DAMN those things are heavy. My 6-ounce t-shirt weighed
over two pounds with my externalized liquid during that hour of work.
Now I have a bigass stump. I think I'll ask my neighbor if I can
borrow his little trencher/backhoe for half an hour.

I also have a holly tree whose stump/trunk was about a foot in
diameter and whose rootball is over 2' in diameter. I've dug down a
foot and a half, severed all side roots, and it still isn't budging.

... and can tote an extra 1,750 lbs
in the bed. The beefyness of the truck ensures that it can also haul
more weight safely, 8,500 pounds worth.

And do you haul 8.500 pounds with it? I thought you said that the most you
carry is 500 pounds of tools, right?

No, I've hauled trailers, mixers, and welders with it and I use the
receiver hitch for helping pull stumps, etc.

What I said was that I always have 500 pounds of my tools with me. I
add up to half a ton of lumber and extra power tools as each job
demands. I'm USING my truck, though a Tacoma might have sufficed.

--
Jewish Zen:
Be here now. Be someplace else later. Is that so complicated, already?