Posted to alt.home.repair
jthread[_2_] jthread[_2_] is offline

Default AC Freon Leak ?

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
news:ipZbk.60228$Jx.21223@pd7urf1no...
jthread wrote:

"Red Green" wrote in message
"jthread" wrote in news:fYVbk.192363$SV4.155483
@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

"Red Green" wrote in message
JackpipE wrote in news:9bf42cd7-45a7-4dfa-9dde-
:

I just had AC service done last week and the technician said that
there were no freon in the system at all. As far as I know frean
doesn't just disapper and since it worked fine last summer there must
be a leak. So he added 8lb and the system works fine but I noticed
some kind of white sludge on a plastic cover of my basement window
next to the copper freon pipe. Here is a pictures of what it looks
like:
http://e-pixel.net/freon.jpg
Is that the place of my possible leak?

Jack

Out of curiosity:

8lb at ? per lb? If unknown, what was total bill?

What's your approx location?

Was it R22 or 410A?

I paid $236.45 for 4.5lbs R22

Austin TX

Just for the R22 itself? Not including service call, check this & that?
Appreciate the response but question it because I find it odd they would
charge an oddball abmont of $52.54/lb.

No problem:

This is the way the bill reads

Diagnostic Analysis: $65.00
4.5lbs R22 1st lb 75.42 each lb after that 46.03: $236.45
Total: $301.45

Desc. of work: Found unit low on R22 ref charged unit w/4.5 lbs. Checked
for leak outside and found no leak. Leak most likely in evap coil.

Recommendation: Get ready to replace system.

Bill finished.

The tech told me it wasn't worth spending a lot of time on it as it's
just money down the drain. He said R22 has gone through the roof and I
should have the system replaced when the pressure drops again. He quoted
me anywhere around 5k to 10k for a new system. So far I have about 1/2
of the money saved up for a new system. The one I have now is an Amana
042. He said it was a cheap system.

I figured the repair and the quote was too expensive and I wouldn't use
that particular company to replace unit. I wasn't too impressed with
Christian Bros. despite the good reviews they have from other customers.

Hi,
How old is the unit? Ever cleaned or inspected evaporator coil?
If it's old, it is good idea to replace it.

What. The system or the coil?