Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default AC Freon Leak ?

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Couple weeks ago, I was quoted $198 for 30 pounds at my parts house.

Thanks, that sounds more like what I thought the cost should be. About 15
years ago I had a house that would loose enough r22 on a central air system
to freeze up once a year. After two years I bought a 30 lb container for
about what a service call was, somewhere around $ 70. I put some in and
checked the connections (screw together for the lines) and did not have to
add any more after that. Still had almost all of the container.
Bought another house and the 20+year old heatpump went out. Put in a new
Train unit. Had a choice of the r22 or the newer refrigerant system.
Decided to stay with the r22 as I have it in my head that had been around
for many years and it runs at less pressure so maybe it would last longer.

I just did not think the r22 had gone up like the r12. Years ago it was
about a dollar a pound can and later after the band it was about $ 18. Not
sure what it is now or if they even sell it. Think I still have about 6
cans I bought for $ 9 each, but nothing to put it in now.