Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC Freon Leak ?

Sounds like a good way to calculate the mark up.

Thing is, that HVAC companies have a lot of expenses that don't get itemized
in the bill. Gasoline, insurance, wages, etc. It's not like you walk into
the store and ask the butcher for a pound of R-22 and slice it thin. We come
to you, in a gasoline drinking van full of heavy tools.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

This is the way the bill reads

Diagnostic Analysis: $65.00
4.5lbs R22 1st lb 75.42 each lb after that 46.03: $236.45
Total: $301.45

Desc. of work: Found unit low on R22 ref charged unit w/4.5 lbs.
Checked for leak outside and found no leak. Leak most likely in evap
coil.

Recommendation: Get ready to replace system.

Bill finished.

The tech told me it wasn't worth spending a lot of time on it as it's
just money down the drain. He said R22 has gone through the roof and I
should have the system replaced when the pressure drops again. He
quoted me anywhere around 5k to 10k for a new system. So far I have
about 1/2 of the money saved up for a new system. The one I have now
is an Amana 042. He said it was a cheap system.

I figured the repair and the quote was too expensive and I wouldn't
use that particular company to replace unit. I wasn't too impressed
with Christian Bros. despite the good reviews they have from other
customers.

Well, we often feel repairs & quotes are too expensive in many arenas..

but...

1st lb 75.42 each lb after that 46.03

WTF? Like they pay more for the 1st lb when they buy it?! All adds get hit
with the first lb premium. 75*30=$2,250. Can you imagine? They can get up
to that much out of a 30lb can. I'd say they are a ripoff.