Oughtsix

Default Question about remote for dust collector

Go to ebay and search for a NEMA size 0 or bigger contactor, two or
three phase contactors will work just fine. ($20 absolute max even if
you don't know how to find a bargain on ebay)
Since you are running on 110v make sure to get a contactor with a 110v
coil. Wire a plug onto the coil of the contactor and plug it into the
Heath/Zenith remote. Wire another plug onto two of the poles on the
contactor and a recepticle onto the other side of the two poles on the
contactor.

The remote will be able to handle any load you throw at it, Dust
collector, fan, stereo, heater all put together (14g wire won't
though).

ie. a contactor is just a fancy name for a relay made to handle large
amounts of current.

On 11 Aug 2003 20:49:19 -0700, (Dale)
wrote:

Right now I'm in the stage of researching the components for a dust
collection system for my small shop. I think I've decided on the Penn
State DC-2 1 1/2 HP collector with 1 micron bags which is on sale
right now for $249 plus $44 shipping. I'm going to add a garbage can
cyclone unit. The DC will be used with only one tool running at a
time. I've got separate 20 Amp circuits for my tools-table saw,
thickness planer, miter saw, jointer, etc. and a dedicated 15 amp
circuit for my DC. I was hoping to have a 20 amp dedicated for the DC
but because of some existing 14 AWG wire that would be very difficult
to upgrade I'm stuck with 15. I have two questions for you
electrically adept people. Question 1- The Penn State catalog lists
the "capacity" of the DC-2 at 17 amps but then says that running
amperage will be significantly less. Am I going to have problems with
breakers tripping by running this on my 15 amp circuit? Question 2-
I'm looking at running the DC on some kind of remote and Home Depot in
my area has a Heath/Zenith Indoor/Outdoor remote light control, model
#SL-6139-C that is listed for 13 amp resistive according to the
package. Will this unit be able to handle the DC-2 or is this a
hazardous situation? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dale