Posted to alt.home.repair
Sac Dave Sac Dave is offline

Default AC Freon Leak ?

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

"JackpipE" wrote in message
I just had AC service done last week and the technician said that
there were no freon in the system at all. As far as I know frean
doesn't just disapper and since it worked fine last summer there must
be a leak. So he added 8lb and the system works fine but I noticed
some kind of white sludge on a plastic cover of my basement window
next to the copper freon pipe. Here is a pictures of what it looks
like: http://e-pixel.net/freon.jpg
Is that the place of my possible leak?

Jack

Freon will evaporate almost as soon as it hits the air. It will not leave
anything behind. The unit will have oil in it and you may find some oil
around where it leaks out.

If he added 8 pounds, the system must be empty or almost empty. He should
have checked for leaks to find out where the freon leaked out. If really
empty, he should have put a vacuum pump on it and sucked all the air and
any moistuer out of the system before it was refilled.

YOu are right, the system is a closed system and the freon should stay in
it unless there is a leak. Anytime freon is added, it means a leak
somewhere as it does not get used up.

Your right the only way it woud be empty is if there is a leak.