Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default pressure switch wire

Paul wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
news.com...
My well is located 400+ feet from the storage tanks and pressure switch in
the basement. I buried a 12-2 romex with the pipe 22 years ago. This
spring one of the wires shorted so I made a ******* hookup up using the
ground and the remaining good wire. Today the second one shorted, so I
made a double ******* - hot from power in house to one of the wires and
cut the other two loose. Pick up a ground at the well. Works for today,
need to put on high priority to repair.

Using underground romex again will push $150. Wire has gotten spendy. I
see underground irrigation cable in McMaster Carr #8045k11 that's rated
for 30 volt. My question, would a 24 VAC supply in the basement powering
24 volt relay at the well contactor be a reliable setup? As in last 20
years? This would save $ on wire and I wouldn't have to bury it more than
6 inches deep.

other ideas?

I'm puzzled. How are you planning to get power to the pump (110v or 220v)
from the house to the well. I'm assuming you are dealing with a submersible
pump in the well. Maybe a little more info would help.
Paul

I'm missing that as well.

For all things underground, the answer is *always* conduit. Run
appropriately sized PVC conduit, I'd probably say 1" would do, and pull
individual THHN conductors through it.

If you have power at the well head from some other source, then just a
low voltage control signal would work, or you could relocate the
pressure switch to the well house.