Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

Default What is wrong here ?

"Patrick Turner"

Its not the only shonky thing one might buy,

** Got nothing to do with the device I pictured here which is an
electrocution hazard.

I bought a 500W rated variac from Jaycar last summer.
It wasn't a very nice POS, because it hummed badly, but
didn't get hot without a load, so I could live with the hum.
But after only a month's use, and while using it to control the speed
setting of an electric drill used as a motor for a lathe for very
easy work, there was a flash and spark and smoke, and I turned it off.
I had a look inside and boy what a mess.
Apart from melted wiring, the wiper for the output
had penetrated through the windings and against the toroidal core.

The fuse didn't blow though.
The fuse is on the input.
But it was rated for 500VA, you'd think that'd mean that for
50Vout, Iout could be up to 10A.

** Only a complete ****wit would think such a stupid thing.

And look who did.

So I take it back to Jaycar and they sent it away to their tech.
After waiting a month they give me the refund I'd asked them for.

** You abused that poor variac, destroyed it with a massive current overload
and cheated Jaycar out of money.

Wot a cretin.

...... Phil