Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Paramo vises

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 18:46:47 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

1) Does anyone know how to get Paramo spare jaws? I did a search and
understand that the company has gone under some time ago.

Make new ones out of 1040, 4340 or similar steel. harden and temper to
250-300deg C. Leave the faces flat.

3) Is there any reason why the screws holding the jaws would be hardened
screws? I propose to replace the massacred one with ordinary screw.

The screws will be 1/4"BSW, but run a 1/4"UNC bottoming tap down the holes and
you won't have any problems. The screws should not be under any significant
shear or tension in normal use, so relatively low-grade hardware should work.

And a final message:
I am convinced that the die mishap is simply due to the fact that the die
just became dull after the first attempt. In that it behaved like other dies
from the same set. Never ever buy tap and die sets from Canadian Tire!

Caveat emptor :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM