Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default OT - Six stroke engine

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Tom Quackenbush wrote:
Inside Bruce Crower’s Six-Stroke Engine:
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...THISWEEKSISSUE

[...]
“I’ve been trying to think how to capture radiator losses for over 30
years,” explains the veteran camshaft grinder and race engine builder.
“One morning about 18 months ago I woke up, like from a dream, and I
knew immediately that I had the answer.”
[...]

Basically, his engine injects water into the cylinder after the
normal exhaust strike, which adds another steam power stroke and
exhaust stroke, as well as cooling the cylinder. This apparently
eliminates the need for an external cooling system and uses some of
the heat energy that would otherwise be lost through the radiator.

Thoughts? Would this present a corrosion issue? Does it sound
worthwhile?

I suspect it won't present a corrosion problem. You've got to remember
that water is a product of combustion in any internal combustion engine,
so there's a lot of steam in the cylinders anyway.

It's an interesting idea. I will be keen to see how it develops. The
downside will be that you have to fill your car with water as well as
petrol, unless he includes a condenser to recover the water from the
exhaust gases.

Best wishes,

Chris

You'd have to fill your car with fairly special water -- or you'd have
all sorts of weird deposits on your cylinder walls.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services