Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
nesesu nesesu is offline

Default Tag terminal desoldering technique/s ?

On Jul 4, 11:34*am, "Omer S" wrote:
Try going to one of the aerospace industry houses here in SoCal and
implement some of the yahoo practices of desoldering as described here and
condoned by some, and you will be thrown out before you can even blink an
eye!

As in soldering, but in reverse, there is methodology and experience in the
way one removes components from a circuit.

From milspec procedures, to industry protocol, there is a way of doing this,
in the same manner as driving schools teach parallel parking!

Omer

"nesesu" wrote in message

I find it an interesting point. We each, separately, have found a way
that
obviously works or we would try and find another method. But there is no
convergence to some outright winning process.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list

IMHO, there is no "winning process" because there are too many
variables. A 'bag of tricks' is more useful and the appropriate
methods applied to the particular situation encountered. Replacing a
components [lead] down under a bandswitch is handled far differently
than on an 'eye' type terminal strip fully exposed in the middle of
the chassis.
I think the whole process is called "experience".

Neil S.- Hide quoted text -

Indeed! I took the soldering course and was certified. Gosh, that was
a lot of years ago, too.
However, consumer electronics are not generally built like the
military gear that the soldering
course was aimed at, and it was assumed that the joint of interest was
readily accessable
and the support of the terminal was still sound. As you say, Omer,
those joints were made,
originally, to the strict process methods, and from that were
appropriate to the 'un-soldering'
methods set out.
A flimsy crystalized brass solder tag with too many leads connected to
it is not the
same thing.
If I recall correctly, the biggest thing they harped on in that
soldering course was
"do not overheat the connection"! That was followed by a good
mechanical support and
good 'wetting' when re-soldering.

Neil S.