Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Shiny Spots on T&G Pine Ceiling????

infiniteMPG wrote:
We just finished up putting tongue & groove pine boards in the ceiling
of our porch. The porch area is about 25-feet wide so we trimmed down
14-foot and 12-foot boards so there is a single alternating joint in
each row. Looks good and we needed to stain it so we sampled more
stains then we can shake a stick at and decided on Minwax's Ipswitch
Pine. Just now finished up all the staining (and am barely able to
type from the overhead work) and it looks great with one exception.
Some of the board parts have a high shine to them and other parts are
very dull and flat. Was just differences in parts of the wood as you
can see the patterns in the shiny areas. Biggest problem is the bare
pine was light and when you see the light reflection on the shiny
spots it looks like we missed spots but we didn't.

I think that's the consequence of real wood - it's not uniform.

'Bout the only way for a similar project to come out perfectly is to use
laminate flooring.

Before you scream "nuts!" I once suggested carpeting the walls of a computer
room. The carpet people did the job, then went outside and ate bugs, but the
noise level went down dramatically.

You could probably get by with the least expensive laminate - it won't have
much traffic. Better glue it, though.