Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
john[_12_] john[_12_] is offline

Default Seasoning advice sought

Hi all, I've just discovered this newsgroup and, being a newbie to turning,
I'd welcome some advice on seasoning wood. I've acquired some logs which
were cut in April 2008. They are of Ash and Maple. The biggest Ash is 10
diameter x 15 long (inches) and the biggest Maple is 7 diameter x 11 long
(inches). So far all I've done is seal the cut ends with paraffin wax.
Since I intend to make bowls with the logs, would it be better to split them
lengthwise and seal the cut faces now? Or leave them alone for a couple of
years and do the preliminary cutting when the logs are seasoned? Thanks in
advance.