Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default NiCads

In message , JD
writes
If you are comfortable doing it, MTO sells you the cells and you can
rebuild your own battery. I've not tackled this, but it seems to be a
way of saving a bit of money.

JD

The biggest issue you may find is dependent on how the cells are to be
connected. If you need to solder to them you may need to use an active
flux, as normal tin/lead solder usually will not adhere effectively. You
will also need to use a high temperature iron, as the cell can be a good
heat sink. And finally, use the minimum time possible as the heat can
cause a cell to gas off or even explode.
(I managed a shop floor where we had to modify 15000 cell banks a month,
because they ordered too many, like a years worth. They saved a penny on
each one!)

--
John