Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default What is wrong here ?

John Fields wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Fields wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
John Fields wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote

I FULLY recommend the IEC standards. You have to get into a kind of
'mindset' to really understand them but I had a couple of excellent
tutors and when you do, they make great sense and provide excellent
advice.

That's probably similar to the mindset you need to be ruled from Brussels.

MORON.

Meet a few people who sit on IEC committees before babbling that claptrap.

Our very own John Woodgate is/was one of them. Sure, they don't always get
it100% right but by God they get it mostly right.
---
"Gott mit uns"?

Your point is ?

UL is ****. Stuff it.

---
Bend over.

Do you even know _what_ UL is?

I most certainly do.

---
Easy enough to say, but let's have a little more detail...

That is, what's their raison d'être and why do you think they're ****?

They are IIRC a not-for-profit Incorporated Business to provide certain safety standards
and testing to them for the benefit of the insurance industry and the end user. Hence
the name, Underwriter's Labs where underwriting refers to insurance. UL has typically
concentrated on fire hazard to the best of my knowledge. Whereas IEC has tended more
AIUI to concentrate on risk of electrocution hazard, since fire was never seemingly a
big problem in comparison in Europe (fewer wooden buildings - better codes etc perhaps
?).

They are wising up now and adopting IEC thinking.

---
You don't mean IEC, you mean European and, particularly, British.

No I don't. BSI standards in our field are most certainly merely national versions of
IEC standards. Or more accurately I think it goes IEC EN BSEN as they're called now.

UL predates the IEC by about 10 years, and the IEC's original meeting
was held in the US, so UL's thinking is probably embodied in the IEC,
particularly with respect to product safety, which is what UL is all
about.

See above about emphasis. IEC has never had a 'hot flaming oil test' AFAIK for example.

The clue is in "Underwriters", which refers to the people who
guarantee to pay claims on insurance policies they've issued, and UL
was founded with the purpose of minimizing their risk.

I know.

Something like your ship-building board certifying a vessel as being
seaworthy before Lloyd's would insure it.

Or DNV (Det Norske Veritas)
http://www.dnv.com/

Intruigingly IIRC, all Kwan Asia's BS/ISO/IEC 9000/9002 certificates were issued by DNV.

Graham