Posted to rec.woodworking
jtpr jtpr is offline

Default woodworking equip.

On Jul 2, 6:56*pm, Tanus wrote:
wrote:
A year ago my woodworking husband passed away and now I am forced to
sell the tools our son and son-in-law couldn't use. *Any idea on how
to price used tools. *Fortunately he has an inventory of purchase date
and price of large tools. *Example Delta Lathe, bought 1993 for $575
from neighbor, to most recent 2006 Delta Shop Master B.O.S.S spindle
sander for $200. *Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My condolences on your loss, m'am.

I think how I'd approach this is in a number of different ways.

1. Use your inventory of tools (but not nec. the original price) and
compare them to what's being offered on the used lists on the web.
Craigslist, Kijiji, and any other lists that you can think of. To some
extent it doesn't matter if they're local to you or not, long as they're
in the same country. Average out the prices you see for each item and
see if that rings true with you.

2. See if the son and/or son-in-law have a feel for what a reasonable
price might be. They've expressed some interest and may be able to help
more.

3. If getting maximum price is not what you're trying to do, see if you
can find someone who'll take the entire lot. Price per tool will be
lower, but you may be able to sell all of it in one transaction.

4. If money is not figured into it at all, many schools/charities/WW
clubs will gladly take the lot off your hands for you. Many will give
you a tax receipt for it.

I'm sure the other guys have many different ideas, but maybe these will
be able to start you off.

Tanus

Also, posting the general area you are in might spark some interes
right here. You could also do local auctions on eBay, start it at $1
with no reserve and let the Gods decide.

My condolences as well.

-Jim