Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Clausing 5914 - spindle bearing preload adjustment

In article ,

On 2008-07-02, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... loose spindle bearings ... ]

O.K. I wound up the second time over-tightening it, and then
loosening it until it spun the proper amount.

I will no doubt do much the same, as I learn how much is correct.

I did pretty well by feel on that the first try.

I now have a radial-pin spanner wrench that fits and is large enough, so
precise adjustment should be easier. But not until it settles a bit
more.

Oh -- you didn't have the pin spanner before? You could turn a
piece of stock bored large enough to slip over the ring and then drill
it for a pin which you could slip in. Or you could press fit the pin,
and then saw out about 270 degrees worth of the ring. :-)

I did consider making a spanner, but decided to get an Armstrong wrench
with swinging arm, that will handle a range of sizes.

I was lucky to be able to pick up a proper pin spanner at one of
the for-sale tables at the local metalworking club meetings.

I have a large collection of random pin spanners, but none fit well, and
the ones that did fit were too small and weak.

Now that I bought a wrench, the perfect one will came along for $0.50.

Joe Gwinn