Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default door with short chain by hinge to keep it close. Remove?

lbbss wrote:
In our new house the garage to house door is self closing. It has
some kind of small chair, in the middle of the door (on the hinge
side). I don't like it closing all the time, so would like to
unscrew that mechanism. If I later change my mind, will it be next
to impossible to put it back? thanks.

Hi,
Self closing garage door is per fire code. I don't think you can disable
it for good. My door has spring hinges. Nothing external like yours. If
needed I used door stopper(wedge) to keep it open when I haul groceries,
etc.