Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GMAN GMAN is offline

Default Any Panasonic VCR Experts In Here?

In article , Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 09:11:07 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Ron" wrote in message
I have two Panasonic VCR's, model numbers PV-V4540 and PV-9450.

They are almost idenical on the outside and very simular on the inside.

The "newer" model - PV-V4540 - seems to have a head going bad from
everything I've read.

The PV-9450 works fine, but doesn't have the features that the PV- V4540
has.

I would like to install the head unit from the PV-9450 (the older one)
in the PV-V4540 (the newer one).

They look the same, but are they the same? And if I swap the headunits,
will the alignment be the same?

Here are pics of the head units. The one thing that I wondering about is
the "arm" on the center post of the (newer) PV-V4540...what is that?

The arm in the centre is for static discharge. Without it, on a machine
originally fitted with one - which most are - you tend to get little white
dots on the playback picture. Provided the heads *are* exactly the same,
then there are no alignment issues with head swaps on modern VCRs. It is
only two screws, so give it a go. Normally, the screw holes are offset
slightly to make sure that you don't get it on 180 degrees out. At worst,
it just won't work. As a matter of interest, what are the symptoms for
your diagnosis of failing heads on the first one ?

The OP should be advised that in certain cases (unless things have changed
in the past decade)you need a head puller. I've replaced many voice coils
from inexperienced techs who destroyed them while removing a head.

He's not wanting to remove just the heads, he wants to remove and replace the
whole cylinder with heads attached to the other unit. Its only 2 or 4 screws
on the thing and you move it over and place it down in the other VCR.I have
done this sucessfully from an old Mitsubishi U-760 to a U-770 if i remember
right(Its been years).

But with his situation, the parts are completely different between the units.
I would advise against it with these two units.