Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scythian dreams

On Jul 2, 10:53*pm, EricP wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 20:00:15 GMT, (Anna Kettle) wrote:

It happens that there are loads of scythes in my local auction on
Saturday so I might go and bid. Does anyone know what I should be
looking for in particular? Does one buy a scythe to fit the person, or
are they general purpose items? The lot descriptions include

The only way to buy a scythe is by trying them all until you find one
that feels *right* for you. * If you swing it as if using it, you will
immediately know that it is the one.

Don't immediately go for a light one, it should be balenced and the
weight is important as the heavier it is without discomfort, the less
wellie you will have to provide to cut.

As someone said they are really theraputic to use and can be
enjoyable.

FWIW my experience was about the opposite. I initially went for a
small short handled thing, comfortable and easy to swing about, and it
works. Chap got me to try a full length 2 handed one, and I found it
impossible at first, but with his encouragement I persevered, and once
I got the hang of it it really worked much better. I dont know a lot
about scythes, but after that I'd go for a big heavy long 2 handled
one. Despite being less easy to get the hang of, they cut more ground
per hour with less energy.

NT