Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Where to store Chemicals: Garage or Garage Attic? Fumes traveldown?

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 7/2/2008 9:40 AM lbbss spake thus:

Is there any webs sites out there that would explain some of these
issues? I would think gallons of paint are safe if they are closed
properly. I would also assume oil is fairly safe. But I have
other types of chemicals that I am concerned about like, verso & paint
thinner, aerosol spray cans, gasoline, wood stain, wood deck sealer
etc. Any ideas?

Well, yeah: the first that springs to my mind is a question: why would
you have *any* "fumes" from your stored chemicals? If you've got fumes,
you're doing something wrong, like not hammering on the lids of paint
cans (I see that all the time), not screwing on caps tightly, or just
plain storing them in a sloppy, unsafe manner.

If your chemicals are properly stored and looked after, there should be
no problem storing them in the garage (assuming you also observe other
common-sense precautions, like not storing flammables anywhere near a
source of flame like a water heater, etc.).

I agree that if stored in original containers there should be no fume
problem. Storage under ambient conditions is recommended for all
household type chemicals or pesticides that I know of and freezing or
overheating can cause decomposition, so storage in the attic is out.