Andy Dingley

Default Help Please! Over my head (long)

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 06:05:06 GMT, McQualude
wrote:

There is nothing wrong with using mahogany for a tack box.

What's "mahogany" ?

If you're talking about Central American, then I'd regard this as a
waste. I've no objection to using it for a tackbox (you've seen the
price of horses !), but no-one should buy this timber until they have
a fair bit of experience.

The stuff is rare and getting more so. If we want mahogany to be
around in the future, then we have to look seriously at conserving it
_now_. Some species are already CITES listed. Don't waste it on a
first project - save it for something better.

If you mean the more common (certainly in Europe) African "mahogany"
or SE Asian "mahogany", then these are less endangered. Although even
here, the logging practices in countries like Cambodia are pretty
dubious.

Round here, cheap plywood is sold as "mahogany" and is probably made
from Luan. Quite strong and rot-resistant, but it looks featureless
and somewhat ugly. Not bad if you're painting it or you want it bland,
but as natural wood it's just boring.

Don't use birch ply. Nice stuff, but can be a bit soft on the
surface. Not going to wear well at ground level in a stable. Needs a
heavy finish if it's not to develop mould spots either.

Personally I like to use local timber. It fits with local styles and
"looks right". Same goes for the style - if you're in colonial
Virginia, just build a six-board and nail it 8-)

Lon Schleining's book "Treasure Chests"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../codesmiths-20
is a beautiful read that any box-maker will appreciate. There's a tack
chest in there too (not plans, just photos). It's solid cherry,
dovetailed, with cherry ply top and bottom.