Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default woodworking equip.

On Jul 2, 8:25 am, wrote:
A year ago my woodworking husband passed away and now I am forced to
sell the tools our son and son-in-law couldn't use. Any idea on how
to price used tools. Fortunately he has an inventory of purchase date
and price of large tools. Example Delta Lathe, bought 1993 for $575
from neighbor, to most recent 2006 Delta Shop Master B.O.S.S spindle
sander for $200. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Setting the price is always a trick.
My general rule of thumb is that a used piece of equipment in good
shape should fetch in the neighborhood of half of it's current price.
You might get more, you might get less, depending on the particular
tool, brand, etc.

Ask around if there's a woodworking club in your area. A local
hardwood dealer would know how to contact them. Most woodworking
clubs have several people that make a good part of their lively hood
buying and selling tools. The price they set would generally be on
the low side as they're looking for a bargain, but then again, who
isn't?

You have to ask yourself if you want to move the tools quickly with
little fuss, or whether you're willing to take your time and have
people coming around kicking the tires and not making a sale.

eBay is not a problem for selling larger tools as there are local
people who scan eBay religiously. Just stipulate up front that the
item is for local pickup. If you list a lot of the tools at the same
time, you might find that someone would be willing to drive quite a
distance if they're getting enough tools at a suitable bargain.
Craigslist is another good avenue. You can post on both eBay and
Craigslist at the same time, but you'll have to mention in your eBay
listing that the tool is available locally and you reserve the right
to end the auction if the item sells outside of eBay.

Good luck!