Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Scythian dreams

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 20:00:15 +0000, Anna Kettle wrote:

A couple of times each year I mow the little meadow at the end of my
garden and every time I roll out extension leads, get weighed down by
the electric strimmer which makes a horrible noise and the strimmer
line breaks and I curse loudly

To save the ears of my ladylike neighbour there has to be a better
solution and I've been considering getting a scythe for a while now.

It happens that there are loads of scythes in my local auction on
Saturday so I might go and bid. Does anyone know what I should be
looking for in particular? Does one buy a scythe to fit the person, or
are they general purpose items? The lot descriptions include

Grass scythe (several of these)
Bramble scythe (hopefully dont need this)
Pea scythe
Scythe cradle
Allen scythe
scythette

I'm told that a scythe blade has to be kept very sharp so presumably I
will need some sort of honing stone too?

Anna

Look for a 'cigar' sharpening stone in a garden centre - used for sickles
so presumably good enough for a scythe.

Cic.

--
Using Ubuntu Linux