Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
ian field ian field is offline

Default What is wrong here ?

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

ian field wrote:

Underwriters Laboratories?

Which logo are you seeing? A lot of crap has fake copies of the old
logo they haven't used for years. The UL rating is usually on the power
cord, not the device. http://www.bb-battery.com/UL-1logo.gif is the
current design.

BTW, I have repaired video monitors for over 35 yeas, and have never
seen one that caught fire. A few damaged flybacks, but no fire damage.

There was an obscure Chinese make that usually turned up under the Gateway
badge, it had huge 'precision' resistors in the PSU voltage sense circuit -
which regularly went high/OC, the voltage would rise and one by one the
power stages would fail SC, in each case the (presumably counterfeit)
secondary rectifiers would overheat and split in two instead of failing SC.
When this happened it was 50/50 whether the PSU would go bang or continue
rising until it arced between the transformer pins and set fire to the
board!

This monitor also suffered frequently from a dry joint in the line scan
circuit that arced and set fire to the board, very often I had to destroy
the case to get it open because the swivel base was welded to the bottom of
the case making the screws inaccessible - but there were always BER scrap
units to salvage a case from.