Posted to rec.woodworking
Mortimer Schnerd, RN Mortimer Schnerd, RN is offline

Default woodworking equip.

wrote:
A year ago my woodworking husband passed away and now I am forced to
sell the tools our son and son-in-law couldn't use. Any idea on how
to price used tools. Fortunately he has an inventory of purchase date
and price of large tools. Example Delta Lathe, bought 1993 for $575
from neighbor, to most recent 2006 Delta Shop Master B.O.S.S spindle
sander for $200. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Forget eBay and consider craigslist instead. What difference does it make what
the equipment might go for in BF, Egypt when you're interested in the prices in
your neck of the woods? The other advantages include:

1) No shipping costs
2) No shipping effort
3) No internet scams
4) It's free

I've bought several things off craigslist. In each case, I read the ad,
contacted the owner via email, made arrangements to inspect the merchandise,
paid them cash for their stuff and then loaded it up to take it home.

Craigslist has a sales category called "tools"... that's where I'd advertise it.
Also, if you look over to the right hand side of their home page, you'll see a
listing of individual states. If you select your state, you'll then see a list
of cities. Each city listed will have its own "tool" category for you to
investigate. That's an easy way to look through a lot of ads; more than just in
your area. Also, make free use of the search function to zero in on lathe ads
so you don't have to wade through all the compressors and table saws to find
what you're really focusing on.

Accept cash only. Avoid any fishy conditions of sale. Make it where is / as is
but demonstrate it works first. Then it's their problem.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com