Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] boltmail@mailbolt.com is offline

Default Soldering chromed pipe

On 1 Jul, 16:04, "John" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message

I have serious doubts as to whether the solder will really work properly.
Soldering actually alloys itself into the metals being jointed. (I recall
sectioning and polishing samples at college) Chrome wouldn't alloy to the
solder - you may end up sticking the parts together - but it won't be as
good as solder on copper (IMHO).- Hide quoted text -

As long as you abrade it enough to get some copper shining through in
the troughs of the scratches, the solder will take well enough in my
experience. Having said that, it's only four years and counting since
the first one I did, so there would be ample time for premature
failure. It seems easy enough to tell the difference between one
which hasn't worked (the solder doesn't wet the joint properly at all)
and one which has.