Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default Demise of Ebay?

"Huge" wrote in message
On 2008-06-30, Bob Mannix wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message

Selective aren't we?

The free market is wonderful until it isn't. Free-marketeers conveniently
overlook this fact as it spoils their world view.

You haven't the vaguest idea what a free market is. The State went after
eBay
because it's easier than finding and prosecuting the real criminals -
those who
sell counterfeit goods.

Can't quite see the connection - I agree with the second part. My point was
that the result of the free market is (often) for example, domination of the
marketplace by one supplier (Tesco, MS or whoever, because they have done it
better) at which point people suddenly get up in arms about their "dominant
market position". If one player beats all the others and they go out of
business, and the one becomes a virtual monopoly, that is the free market in
operation - why penalise such a successful operator? It's hypocritical. A
truly free market would have no concept of conterfeiting or trademark
registration or any other form of protection - you buy from a seller and
your contract, and any problems, are between the two of you. The market will
decide. I'm not in favour of it, but I believe some people profess to be
until they perceive they have a problem.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

[email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org dot uk]