Posted to uk.d-i-y
RW[_4_] RW[_4_] is offline

Default Tripod/Camera Screw Thread

"Dave Osborne" wrote in message
Hello Folks,

There was a discussion on here maybe earlier this year, maybe last year
about whether the thread on a tripod/camera was 1/4-20 Whitworth or UNC.
ISTR we got into discussions about thread angles and somebody pointed out
that Wikipedia was (allegedly) wrong.

Thing is, I can't remember who had the last word, and I can't find the
discussion on Google Groups.

Without wishing to open the debate again, did anyone find the definitive
answer, cos my colleagues and I were having fun recently with a load of
(supposed) Whitworth bolts/nuts and studding, some of which was compatible
and some of which wasn't!

1. Stud would screw into camera

Running fit thread.

2. Bolt would *not* screw into camera

Normal

3. Nut would screw onto *both* stud and bolt

Nuts are usually always slack (Fnarrrrrr !)