Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jmeehan@columbus.rr.com is offline

Default Venting For Attached Garage Attic

On Jul 1, 2:58*pm, rmorton wrote:
We moved into a new to us house that is about 6 years old and the garage
has been an oven since the summer is here. *We into the garage attic and
discovered that there is no insulation. *Oh well something else to get
accomplished. *While I was up poking around I did notice that while the
roof has ridge vents the nice ventilated soffit is totally closed off.
Closer inspection and it appears that the soffits were created by
building a ladder out of 2X4's and nailing the ladder to the side of the
trusses. *Can the trusses be drilled to allow air passage? *If they can
be drilled, how big of a hole and what type of spacing? *Sure don't want
to destroy the integrity of the truss system but can see no other way to
get air flow through the soffit and out the ridge vents. *Thanks for any
help and insight on how best to fix this. *Yes, the insulation will go
in as soon as I can solve the ventilation problem.

I don't know about the venting other than to suggest what you have
described is almost totally non-functional.

I would not bother adding insulation. 90% of any benefit you are
going to get is going to come from correcting the vent problem.

I am assuming a detached garage. If it is attached, then there
will be some MINIMAL advantage to adding insulation both above and in
outside walls.