Posted to alt.home.repair
rmorton[_2_] rmorton[_2_] is offline

Default Venting For Attached Garage Attic

We moved into a new to us house that is about 6 years old and the garage
has been an oven since the summer is here. We into the garage attic and
discovered that there is no insulation. Oh well something else to get
accomplished. While I was up poking around I did notice that while the
roof has ridge vents the nice ventilated soffit is totally closed off.
Closer inspection and it appears that the soffits were created by
building a ladder out of 2X4's and nailing the ladder to the side of the
trusses. Can the trusses be drilled to allow air passage? If they can
be drilled, how big of a hole and what type of spacing? Sure don't want
to destroy the integrity of the truss system but can see no other way to
get air flow through the soffit and out the ridge vents. Thanks for any
help and insight on how best to fix this. Yes, the insulation will go
in as soon as I can solve the ventilation problem.