Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soldering chromed pipe

Andrew Gabriel submitted this idea :
Anyone tried soldering chromed pipe?
Looking to make a join with an endfeed fitting rather than a bulky
chrome compression fitting, which I might try painting silver afterwards.
I presume you have to strip the chrome to do the soldering, but does
the heat wreck the chrome further back up the pipe? (I don't have a
piece to hand to try it on, or I'd answer my own question.)

Well don't do what a British Gas - gas fitter did in my parents home
some years ago...

He tried to solder a copper fitting onto a chromed copper pipe without
taking the chrome off first. Of course the solder never wetted the pipe
at all and later the pipe worked its way out of the fitting causing a
gas leak. Strip the chrome off back to clean copper with abrasive and
you will be fine.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)