Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default 5 year-old latex paint. Thank you all.

On Jun 30, 3:27*pm, "
wrote:
IME, I judge it like this.

If the paint smells bad when it is opened, or even not like latex
(which should have a very slight to heavy ammonia smell) it goes out.

If there are any kind of lumps, skin, or dried rings inside the can.
It goes out. *If there was any paint used out of the can, any at all,
it goes out.

I would open the can, inspect thoroughly, and have it professionally
remixed. *The zinc solids will migrate to form a paste on the bottom
of the can. *This paste can take forever to stir back in with a 1/2"
drill and the proper sized stirrer.

Test it on a board and see if it lays out. *If it does, success!

Robert

Yuppers. There is a cake at the bottom...and at 30,000 RPM, 4HP, and a
mortar stirrer, there is no paint left in the can... but the room
looks nice. So does my shirt. AND my face.

I'll give it a try. It's not like that job a local painter did. He bid
WAY low on a contract to paint a church. He added a LOT of water to
the latex... to the point that a mild rain washed most of the paint
off the church. The minister was some peeved. He yelled at the
painter: "REPAINT!! AND THIN NO MORE!!!"
.
.
..
I know... that was bad...