Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus Tanus is offline

Default 5 year-old latex paint.

Robatoy wrote:
Not directly related to woodworking, but I am hoping to paint some
stuff on the outside of the house with a couple of gallon of Benjamin
Moore Exterior Latex of a particular colour which I have in inventory.
However, those two gallons were mixed 5 years ago, but upon opening
the cans, all seemed well, just a tad of separation on top, no lumps,
smelled okay, tasted fine.
My regular paint guru is on vacation, and I know there's well-honed
knowledge base in this group.
It will be going on treated wood and steel, the same I did 5 years ago
(The building of a deck interrupted the painting ofd the back of the
house.... and then I got busy with other stuff.)
What I painted 5 years ago, still looks spiffy, even after a few
powerwashes at 3000PSIG.

So, what do you figure, gentleman, ladies, should that paint be okay?
Or do I shed that genetic Dutch Fault and throw it all out and drop a
hundred bucks and buy new?

all thoughts appreciated, and shall Google some more...

Is one to assume that it was stored inside and not subject to
temperature extremes?

If so, I would take a chance on it, but on an area that doesn't too much
matter. Let it sit overnite, and see how it looks.

Tanus