Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Tramming the mill

Terry,
Use a true collet, not a chuck. Clean the base and column and torque the
bolts with a torque wrench. Measure at least 3 times. Dissassemble and check
again. You are looking for consistancy before you make any changes. Lastly
you want the front of the table up about .001 to .002". Even new mills
measure that way on purpose. This compensates for post deflection when under
load
Steve

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Got the new machine set up on it's base today , and checking it out ,
cleaning , getting it ready to use . I chucked a rod with a dial indicator
mounted on it in the drill chuck , just to see ...
It's reading zero at the rear and straight left , plus .004 on the right
and at the front . The sweep diameter of the indicator is approximately
the same as the bolt spread on the column/base attachment . I'm thinking I
need to shim .004 at the left front and right rear bolts , .008 at the
right front .
Am I headed the right direction , or am I about to make the error double ?
--
Snag
Hot , sweaty , and happy as a murff